Requirements For Obtaining a Marriage License (Ascension Parish)

Marriage licenses are issued at the Gonzales Worthey Rd. and Donaldsonville Offices.  The license is valid in any parish in the State of Louisiana.  A Marriage Application Affidavit shall be sworn to and signed by both applicants before a deputy clerk or notary public.  Both applicants may appear in front of a deputy clerk of court to complete the application affidavit or if both applicants are unable to appear in front of a deputy clerk the non-present applicant must complete his/her portion of the affidavit before a notary public prior to applying for the marriage license and the other applicant must appear before a deputy clerk and provide all other required documents for both applicants.  Applicants must provide a valid and unexpired driver’s license or government issued ID.  A member of the Armed Forces of the United States is not required to sign the affidavit, but must provide a copy of his/her military ID.  Due to the processing time of the application, please arrive at our office no later than 4:00 p.m.

Applicants must be 18 years of age. If an applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, both parents must appear with photo identification to sign a consent form. If under the age of 16, in addition to parents written consent, you must have written consent from a judge.
Applicants must present an original or certified copy of their birth record. If either party was born outside the United States he/she must present the original birth certificate. If the birth certificate is not in English, applicant(s) must also provide a notarized translation. Certificates of Naturalization can also be accepted in place of a birth record.
Applicants must provide both Social Security numbers. If the applicant(s) does not have a social security number issued by the United States Social Security Administration, because the applicant(s) in not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United State, the party shall present either of the following:1) A valid and unexpired passport from the country of his birth or 2.) An unexpired visa accompanied by a Form I-49 issued by the United States.

If either applicant has been previously married, applicant must state the number of previous marriages and provide a certified copy of the final judgment of divorce, or if the former spouse is deceased, a dated copy of the death certificate. 

Applicants must obtain the marriage license 3 days (72 hours) prior to the ceremony. This can be waived by a judge or justice of the peace authorized to perform the ceremony. A marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance.
A Covenant Marriage requires the same information stated above in addition to premarital counseling. Applicants wanting to obtain a Covenant Marriage must submit a declaration of intent and affidavit and attestation.

The following information for both parties is also required: Highest grade of education completed; father’s full name and state of birth; mother’s full name (Maiden Name) and state of birth.

The fee for obtaining a marriage license is $35.00; covenant marriages are an additional $10.00. This fee includes a certified copy of your marriage license to be mailed back to you after your ceremony. ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.